08:00 – 08:10
Opening Remarks and Industry Insights
Anthony joined Waters in October 2009. He is the Editor-in-Chief of WatersTechnology Group, running all editorial operations for the publication. Prior to joining Waters, he was a senior associate editor covering the banking industry at American Banker. Before that, he was a sports reporter at daily newspaper The Journal News. You can reach him at [email protected] or at +646-490-3973.
08:30 – 09:00
Staying ahead of the innovation curve: Philipino bank’s venture into the digital age
- With the growing amount of transactions, how does the bank apply machine learning to maintain regulatory compliance and drive operational efficiency?
- The advent of UBX and its role in driving the bank’s digital agenda and customer satisfaction
- Artificial intelligence in more human and business-centric approaches
- How to promote agility from top-down?
09:30 – 10:10
The state of open banking in Singapore: impacts and lesson learnt for traditional and digital players
- Deep dive in Singapore’s journey in open banking: API & ecosystem guidance and data regulations from Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS)
- The security risk with APIs: what strategies do CISOs seeking to build security from developing phase, and how to prevent breaches in developed apps and systems?
- In the eyes of third-party vendors: what are the efforts to game up security?
- How should traditional banks differentiate in this more competitive banking environment? And what are the implications for virtual banks and digital offerings?
- Learn from the pioneers: how do EU regulators pave the way for open banking? And what is APAC’s next strategic play?
13:00 – 13:25
State of the Union: Examining the Key Tech & Data Trends in the Capital Markets
- Addressing interoperability challenges
- What are the advantages of cloud & API adoption?
- How to overcome data sourcing pain points?
- Exploring machine learning (ML) and natural language processing (NLP) initiatives
- Best-of-breed or one-stop shop
14:00 – 14:40
Application Interoperability: Where is the Industry Heading?
- What are the top challenges for getting internal systems to communicate?
- How do interoperability issues affect which vendors you will choose to work with?
- How does consolidation help/hinder your interoperability projects?
- What are the hidden risks when it comes to API development?
- Why are capital markets firms becoming more comfortable with open-source tools, and what are the risks?
MD, Global head of client, banking, & digital technology
RBC capital markets
Kim Prado heads the Global client, banking & digital technology group across Capital Markets. She has been at RBC for over 12 years supporting the business in various capacities from running Global FIC Production Services to Head of Fixed Income Sales and Credit Trading technology. Currently, her role includes managing all aspects of client technology as well as Banking and Digital Channels across all lines of business within CM. She is also a member of RBC’s Global Markets Innovation Leadership Council. Prior to joining RBC, Mrs.Prado ran the API Connectivity Development team at ICAP and was part of the initial launch of BrokerTec. She has also held multiple technology positions across the street with Deutsche Bank, Mizuho and Chase Securities. Mrs. Prado received a BA from Stockton University in accounting.
15:30 – 16:10
Hit & Miss: The Perils and Opportunities of Emerging Technologies
- How do you go about deciding what goes into a public, private and hybrid cloud, and what still stays on-prem?
- What are the key data management issues that often go overlooked when trying to take advantage not only of the cloud, but of advancements in artificial intelligence (AI) and automation?
- Which processes are ripe of ML adoption, what are the lessons that you have learned as you have experimented with these techniques?
- Blockchain: hype versus reality.
09:30 – 10:10
Operationalise blockchain and the rise of digital assets
- Navigating blockchain regulations: what are the speedbumps in embracing digital assets as new asset class? What are the sentiments from APAC and global markets?
- A review on practicalities: what are the on-going approaches on digital assets?
- Infrastructure points of view: key considerations to path the way for digital assets and constructive blockchain applications
- Where are we at central bank digital currency (CDBC), and what the future holds?
13:00 – 13:40
The State of ML in the Capital Markets and Key Steps to Progressing ML in your firm
- How is ML being used today? What are the key applications?
- In live development, where has ML been most effective?
- When it comes to explainability and what regulators and clients are looking, what are the main impediments?
- What are the common mistakes made that lead to wasted effort when it comes to ML development? How can you make ML more efficient?
- Is there a talent gap on Wall Street when it comes to hiring engineers with AI backgrounds? Will remote work and a more spread-out workforce help to solve the talent gap, or exacerbate the disjointedness of ML development?
14:00 – 14:40
Navigating the Cloud: Designing your Journey to Successful Cloud Adoption and What is Next
- Where is the industry when it comes to cloud adoption?
- How can you “do the cloud wrong”? How is cloud contributing to increased efficiencies across the business?
- As these platforms become more mission-critical for everyone, how to you plan for outages beyond your control?
- Beyond price, what other factors come into play when choosing between cloud vendors?
- How do you build in an efficient governance layer to prevent cloud sprawl?
16:00 – 16:30
Seeking Alpha with Alt Data: What is Hype and What has Value?
- With a plethora of alt data sources available like sentiment data, geolocation data, vaccine tracking data, satellite data, web traffic data, etc. What is the value and what are the opportunities?
- Assessing the cost-benefit of integrating alt data into the portfolio management process. How are firms simplifying their workflows and data access?
- How to leverage the right alternative data sets to gain valuable insights?
- How does NLP and ML help firms capitalise on alt data?
09:30 – 10:10
Regtech amid the changing regulatory landscape: APAC region’s readiness and how priorities are shifting
- Emerging technologies that are transforming regtech solutions: what are the new breakthroughs?
- Inspecting how APAC markets are adapting regtech with the clear barriers with market fragmentations
- What are the key considerations from regulators and FIs in adopting regtech?
- How are digital banks applying regtech compared to traditional banks?
12:30 – 13:30
The Innovation Exchange working groups – Interactive discussions
During this expert-led interactive session, you will have the opportunity to ask all those burning questions to an industry expert and provide your perspective, to contribute towards the discussion. The aim of the session is to address pressing industry topics in more detail and off-the-record. Register and connect with subject-matter experts and exchange knowledge in an informal setting. To join this session please RSVP. Places are limited and will be offered on a first come first serve basis
Working group 1 – How do you achieve effective workflow automation from very manual processes? Do you transform or build new tools?
Working group 2 – Advancing next-generation computational infrastructure for data science, machine learning, and AI
Working group 3 – Assessing the use cases for ML and how to boost the performance of ML models
Working group 4 – The Post-Covid workforce: Collaboration in Virtual Environments and the New Hybrid Model
14:00 – 14:30
Data build vs buy: Evaluating the intricacies of tailored solutions at scale
- How to build a data architecture to drive efficiencies
- Assessing the implications of building vs buying. What are the pricing licenses limitations?
- How to introduce AI capabilities with vendor solutions?
- How to effectively remove friction to access data?
- How do you integrate a myriad of data vendors?
15:00 – 15:30
DLT: Where are we Today?
- What are some of the successes that we are already seeing for DLT in the capital markets?
- The hype on DLT has died down—what are the key lessons learned?
- How has DLT evolved to make it appropriate for the highly regulated world of finance?
- Is there room for massive, industry-wide DLT projects, as opposed to more targeted, individual-firm projects or smaller-scale industry projects?